Friday, November 26, 2010

Week 1 Response to Classmate (R2C) William #2






Who IS teaching Computer Programming?

     In the summer of 2008, I was fortunate to be selected to attend a summer workshop designed to explore cross-curricular applications of the programming software Alice.  Many may be familiar with Dr. Randy Pausch, famous for his “Last Lecture” speech, book, and many appearances.  Alice was designed to eliminate syntax errors for beginning programmers by utilizing a drag-and-drop interface.  Another primary purpose was to increase interest in computer sciences.  Alice exceeded abundantly in both areas, and my introduction to it reminded me how much I enjoyed the challenge of solving problems using computer programming.

     My rekindled interest led me to examine what opportunities in computer science were available for high school students in NC.   The results I found were, to say the least, disappointing.  Most school systems in my local area that had any computer training in their curriculum were aimed at web design or marketing.  When I finally found a school system in my area that actually advertised a computer programming course, the school year ended with massive budget cuts and that one system eliminating the course from its catalog.  Am I missing something here?  Doesn’t almost every business anyone can go into rely on the workings of a computer and some form of software package that is best suited for that business?  I was horribly disappointed to find that a state that is so “dedicated” to education (and getting out of the bottom 3-5 in national rankings) would ignore such a critical field that can only stand to grow and has such diversity in opportunities within the field.

    My first attempt to increase access to students (outside of class in a club environment) did not receive the support I had hoped, but provided me with important lessons learned.  If I do not obtain a technology certification or teach programming in a classroom environment, I have determined that through some extra-curricular activity, I will make learning basic programming skills available to students who are interested without having to fend for themselves.

MAC Response to Classmate (R2C) William #2 

Glad to see you back in the loop.  Keep your eyes on the mountains and you will arrive at the peak having connected the learning of the past few months.


                                        Mazda Senku, 2005

EPORO robot recharging under a Solar Tree
Solar Tree: Coming in 2030 to a city near you 

You are absolutely correct that modern US education is blind and out of touch with the working essentials of the modern world.  It is a travesty that our schools are not introducing computer science to all our students in this information age, where computers are everywhere, from cars to robots under solar trees.  You will enjoy your “outside the box” classes and so will your students.






No comments:

Post a Comment