Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week 2 Response to Classmate (R2C) Shahenaz #1

 @Shahanez




After reading our class book, it really got me thinking.  I absolutely love how the book starts off about everything being invented.  My goal as a special educator is to “invent” a framework of worth that will influence my students’ lives for the better.  I mean, isn’t that the reason why most of us became teachers so we can make a positive impact in the lives we touch everyday?  We cannot just assume that our mere presence inside the classroom makes a difference.  It’s what we implement and how we do it that makes the difference.  I love the idea of thinking outside the box because not all answers are written in stone.  Teaching students with disabilities, I have learned along the way that each student is unique and thinks in his or her own way.  It does not mean that they are wrong, but rather that we as humans need to be open-minded to other ways of solving a problem and going beyond what’s in our plain sight.
The whole concept of starting students off with an “A” is one I am fond of.  The key is for the student to maintain that “A”.  I believe if students start a course with an A, they are usually motivated to keep that A.  That’s not to say that everyone has to do it because every teacher is different.  I could even see starting a student off with a 0 and having them earn points throughout the course to receive an A, but then the question in my mind becomes if they receive an A on their first assignment, then they have an A in the course; however, if they get a D on the second assignment, then does that give them a C in the course?  That would really bum me out and cause me to continue the course staying on the safe path of what is to be done and how.  I guess I think differently because I teach Pre-K functioning high school students and each student shows their understanding differently.  For my students who have greater difficulty showing their comprehension, I do not think it is fair to punish them with a lower grade.  I think it is my job as an educator to evaluate the student based on their needs rather than how well they met their objective because truth be told, maybe I am the one who is not meeting their needs on an educational level. 
Growing up, I know it was a competition for some students to do better than others and it’s a great drive to have when you want to be number 1, but at the same time, you focus more on doing things the right way as opposed to thinking outside the box and taking a chance at a different approach.  Are you really gaining anything then if you’re only striving for an A because you want to beat your fellow classmates?  Personally, I think not because your brain focuses on crossing every “t” and dotting every “i” rather than learning the material for your own benefit in life.  All in all, I think it’s a great feeling to get an A, but we must ask ourselves what did we gain from it?  Did we actually learn something or did I get it because I played it safe, stayed within my boundaries, and only did what I needed to do to get that A?



I love the picture of you with your students on your welcome page.  Your sunny disposition shines through their eyes.  Great to see you have found your perfect niche. 

Grades are my least favorite part of being an educator.  No matter how you set up the grades, they are subjective.  I would prefer a system with ePortfolios and skill assessments.  I agree with you that some kids will only stay within the “box” to get the A, play it safe, not stretch their minds and truly explore new concepts.  You are correct that each of us must “invent a framework” for success for each and every student.  It is definitely time to shred the old "box" and bring in something new with potential for greater possibilities.






No comments:

Post a Comment